Author Archives: cstallman

Elliot Goes to the Doctor

There comes a time in every design endeavor when the pursuit of material will drive a designer to look in the most unlikely of places for that certain something that eludes you.

Our need for a pliable and resilient fabric for the casting phase of our final project found Elliot taking a trip to the doctor. The take away is that architecture is a cruel mistress or mister, as it will swing either way you want it to.

Love Doctor

Advertisements

The Crux

A must read –brief– article from the NYTimes that raises many of the questions we’ve approached in our class:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/opinion/sunday/morozov-machines-of-laughter-and-forgetting.html?_r=1&

And a link to some design responses to the need to engage user thought, Experience Design:

Forget Me Not

Caterpillar

And a –brief– paper on the Caterpillar cord and The Forget Me Not reading light:

http://www.create-conference.org/storage/create11papersposters/Things%20with%20attitude.pdf

Project #2: 009_tall0104

Our final molds in action and the tiles that are resulting:

So far the molds are holding up famously. We’ve wrapped the “inside” aspects with black plastic to resolve a release concern and the effect is a very shiny and plasticized interior, or hub, of our core tile. We had worked on differentiating the “inside” and “outside” surfaces of the tile and this pragmatic production decision carries this surface treatment forward.

IMG_3629

IMG_3630

IMG_3632

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The added benefit of transparency  This has allowed us to greatly reduce the occurrence of voids and the resulting failed pours.

IMG_3646

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After fifteen casts the mold, both MDF and PETG elements, are doing very well.

IMG_3645

 

 

 

 

 

 

Some of the tiles that have been cast: hub tiles on the left under the monitor, core tiles in the center, and the molds on the right.

IMG_3633

IMG_3637

IMG_3650

The hub tile has received the same “plastic” treatment on it’s center element. Here it was purely out of functional necessity so that we could release the cast from the mold without compromising either.

IMG_3635

Though the tiles will require some light cleanup, the interior webs of plaster that slip easily into the plastic-wrapped crevices create a very interesting effect. It would be possible, using a ridged form such as the MDF and PETG here and a plastic barrier, to control the degrees of opacity. We’ll try a dry run assembly of our wall and evaluate then whether or not to leave the happenstance membranes.

IMG_3651

IMG_3639

Project #2: 008_tall0104

The process of building our final forms involved a process of casting all the “pieces” of our iterative tiles in order to vacuum form the various mold sections. Each of these castings, pre-vacuum form, provided an opportunity for further editing and refinement.

IMG_3614

 

 

 

 

 

 

Speeding up the drying process. This works great for items which are simply acting as molds for vacuum forming. We did see some hairline cracking which would concern us for final product curing.

IMG_3613

 

 

 

 

 

 

The oven drying permitted sanding within 2 hours of casting. Oven drying was done at 225*F. Sanding provides a uniform fit between mated-halves and a variance in surface between the inside- and outside-faces of the core tile.

IMG_3615

 

 

 

 

 

 

The four aspects of the core tile’s mold. The top two have been sanded smooth and for the interior of our tile, the hub side. The bottom two are the front and back faces of the core tile and still retain much of the hand-tooled “brain” texture of our earliest exploratory castings. The brain texture has undergone a level of refinement in that each stage of vacuum forming (two prior to this final) removes a level of micro-detail.

IMG_3617

MVI_3618

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Given the sheer number of vacuum form iterations we’ve gone through we began reusing sheets to reduce costs. We noticed that there may be a brittling effect to this so beware the fragility of reused PETG.

IMG_3623

 

 

 

 

 

 

Even the reused PETG provides a clean final form. the plaster here is waste.

IMG_3624

IMG_3625

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The PETG form is then nested in MDF to which it is glued into a solid assembly.

IMG_3626

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The voids between the PETG form and the MDF armature were then filled with an expanding poly foam insulation. This effected to lock into place the PETG parts which would allow the  core pieces to be cut apart for post-cast disassembly while maintaining a consistant realignment.

IMG_3628

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The mold for our hub tile clamped to glue the PETG and MDF components to each other.

Project #2: 007_tall0104

Moving toward a final mold system for casting.

We are taking casts from each element of of our explorational foam forms and using the vacuum former to create PETG shells. We will then be using these plastic shells as the primary molds for production of our final system.

IMG_3590

IMG_3591

IMG_3593

IMG_3596

Project #2: 006_tall0104

Working towards a structural hub; our tile-b.

IMG_0083

 

 

 

 

 

 

Inside the a hub mold.

IMG_3601

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3603

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3604

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3605

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3606

 

 

 

 

 

 

I rushed taking it out of the mold and lost two of the strong-back arms.

IMG_3607

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Front.

IMG_3609

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Side.

IMG_3610

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back.

IMG_3612