Two renders showing how a slanted surface on the faces of the blocks could work to add complexity to the lighting effects and help to confuse the hexagon geometry of the wall.
Here are a couple renders of the diffusion wall I have been working on. I’m hoping these images give a more clear idea of how the wall is intended to look.
Also, a grasshopper update. I’ve gotten the quadratic diffuser data working in the definition, so the wall you are seeing is accurate as far as the block dimensions. The current GH definition is also being used to calculate wall length, wall height, volume of material, and estimated weight (plaster and concrete).
I’m hoping that these images show what is happening within my wall system clearly enough, but here is my explanation of what is going on.
The wall is composed of units that have a standard hexagonal outer geometry. This geometry is extruded to different lengths based on the mathematics of quadratic diffusers. Because of the size of the units, the wall is limited in its frequency range, but it covers something around 646-925 Hz (the lower range of human speech well within the audible range for people). The result of this logic within the system is a seemingly random variation of the units in plan from 2″ wide to 18″ wide (I think).
The second variable parameter of the system is the opening size. There is a standardized hexagonal opening on both faces of each unit. This is tied (via lofting) to a secondary hexagonal opening that sits at the center 1/3 of the unit. This center opening is varied in section according to image sampling, which will allow the openings of the wall to be customized to the site requirements.
If you are curious as to how my Grasshopper definition is working I have included a high-res image of it here:
Here, also, are a couple more images of the wall so you can get a better feel for what it is doing at the moment.
As of right now, the variation controlled for quadratic diffusion is not totally complete, but you get the idea of where I’m heading. I have also found a program to generate the depths and order of assembly of the units, as well as, the number of each type of unit (depth) that will be required to construct the wall.
Emmett made me aware of this model that was sitting in the BDA Workshop the other day. The curtain wall on this thing has the exact same tiling logic as my project from the first exercise. I got a kick out of seeing something so similar to my project represented on a building model, but at the same time I can’t help but feel that this seemingly coincidental similarity may reflect negatively on Grasshopper (or perhaps my design process) in some way…
We haven’t actually gotten a physical model made yet, but we have adjusted the form of our blocks and come up with a casting system that we think will give us something like this as a final product. It is difficult to see, due to SketchUp’s having a hard time dealing with the more organic geometry, but as you look along the wall from right (close) to left (far), you will notice that the blocks are on a gradient from concave to convex.
The bars across our blocks give them an overarching pattern, but this circular geometry emerged as I translated our ideas into the computer model. I think that on a large scale under a real life lighting condition, this wall might actually start to take on some the characteristics of the small scale crochet texture.