Just a couple thoughts on what our wall could look like. I’m curious if we can find bigger balloons?
This is my photoshop/illustrator dream of what a concrete hexagonal wall -might- look like.
Here are a few of the images of the first few tiles that have came out of the forms. Here is also a link to a Google Drive folder with all of the images that Holly and I took yesterday. My Dropbox is plump full and I’d imagine everyone else is running low as well.
I have sort of ditched my original hexagonal shape in favor stacking geometry, where I am still interested in the concept, but in a more indirect fashion. Here is my definition, a few sketches and a GIF explaining how I have the tile currently varying. I don’t have the variation working properly over the entire field yet, but it’s coming.
We finally had some success with a two sided tile. Our strings wound up being too loose so we didn’t get any definition from them, but that’s a pretty simple fix. Now it’s a matter of figuring out our frame system to vary the shape as well as really nailing down our attachment/dowel system (and filling that pesky gap on top). Our latest iteration was in canvas, but I’m not ready to let go of the tin foil. The nice thing about the canvas here is that we can control the tightness, which keeps the bulge from completely occupying the bottom portion. I think the edge condition between the form and canvas is really interesting too. Anyway, here’s some images of what we’ve done.