Category Archives: Project #1: Variable Tessellations

Project_1: Part 6 (Final Submitted Materials)

My previous design had a lot of curved lines that read exclusively in 2 dimensions, while other curves read only in terms of depth. In the final version, I tried to make it read in both of these ways. Furthermore, there were a lot of visual “dead zones” in the composition, whic I filled in with the overlapping circular pattern on the triangular part of the pattern. All of these thing lead to the creation of the following tiles:

ImageImage

These tiles have variable wing sizes, this can be adjusted easily through grasshopper manipulation.

Image

These tiles act as the hub piece that joins everything together. They vary in the amount of “swirl” that is featured in their centers.

The Following are several pictures of the final triangular arrangement of pieces. The variation reads across the composition from the top “corner” out the the bottom corners.

ImageImageImage

Project_1:Part 4

Image

This week I tried cutting my module in half, they can still tile periodically with themselves. This version features very cool overlapping fan patterns! I’m also working on physical connections, so that the pieces stay together. The connections are proving to be fairly difficult in this model.

Image

The Code behind the new design. Obviously, much more complex (and less organized) than previous versions.

Project_1: Part I

Image

Here’s the basic Tile format. Essentially a square piece that folds into a triangle, which creates the final triangular module that then tiles periodically.

Image

Here is one option for arranging these modules.

Image

Here is essentially the same assembly pattern with varying angles for the wing components. This is how I intend to introduce variation.

Image

Another Arrangement Pattern, without the radial symmetry.

Image

An arrangement of arrangements.

Image

Same as above, but staggered.

Image

Finally, another arrangement.